Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happy (early) Father's Day, Pops

While I sit here in Phnom Penh trying to think of a way to honour my Dad for this coming Father's Day, here are some things about my Dad that can't help but make me smile:

1. Dad's friendly way with people. Dad loves to chat, to joke, to smile, and to laugh with others;

2. Dad's impressive career: he retired from the RCMP in Jan. 2010 after 35 years of service.

3. I am impressed at Dad's fluency in French. Some day I want to follow in his footsteps and learn French too.

4. Dad's horrible jokes that he has been laying on Sean, Colin, me, and our friends since we were adolescents: "Did I give you permission to speak?" "I resemble those remarks."

5. Dad's horrible fashion sense: short bright blue running shorts with a beige golf shirt anyone? Thank God he has met Dorothy, his soon to be wife in September 2010. I worry that I might be inheriting Dad's poor fashion sense. Jen, please restrain me should I err down that path.

6. His hilarious golf swing, or should I say golf swing minus the back swing and more like a slap shot. Who can blame him. He grew up in a family who worshipped hockey; his mother, Rita, 91 years old, still faithfully watches the NHL. She must have been proud of the Habs this year.

7. More seriously: his generosity, kindness, and grace to Jen, Joshua, and me.

8. For all the times when I was young that he calmed me down or just showed me some love by scratching/rubbing my back. I have passed this soothing tradition on to Joshua, my 3 year old son.

9. Dad's an example of humble service by all the ways he volunteers with his Catholic parish and other community projects.

10. Finally . . . ok I gotta make this one a little funny . . . how Dad is a low maintenance cat. He just installed the internet at his home a few months back. Welcome to the 21st century, Dad. Man, I couldn't even convince you to use Skype! Maybe cause you have no idea what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment