Sunday, June 20, 2010

Compassionate curses?

One could say that the Psalms are filled with what may seem like imprecatory prayers and petitions. But the same Psalmist who offered so many of such prayers and petitions, also said this:

"But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth; I humbled my soul with fasting, And my prayer kept returning to my bosom. I went about as though it were my friend or brother; I bowed down mourning, as one who sorrows for a mother." (Psalm 35:13-14 (NASB))

Who are "they"? King David is referring to "malicious witnesses", "smiters", "godless jesters", "the lions", and "enemies".

What do these verses from Psalm 35 reveal to us about David's character? About God's character? About the relationship between justice and compassion?



1 comment:

  1. David truly loved his enemies, and it really frustrated his comrades. They just wanted David to administer justice! not mercy! David understood the depth of his sin, and how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. He was then able to show that mercy to his enemies. I think there is also a relationship between recognizing God's sovereignty and administering justice. As humans, we always want justice. But if we trusted God more, we would know that justice IS coming. God will have his way with the wicked. In the meantime, we should be MORE eager to show mercy and compassion, as a way of "reaping coals" on our enemies, and also, praying that they may come to repentance before the Lord's coming.

    ReplyDelete