Friday, September 24, 2010

Three mature followers of God

The context is the King has given Daniel's 3 godly friends the following ultimatum: bow down and worship a false god, or be thrown alive into an extremely hot furnace of blazing fire. The 3 friends' first response is definitely impressive as an example of following God in the face of such terrible persecution: "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king." (Daniel 3:17) But I submit that their next response is a clearer and more mature example of what it means to know and follow God: "But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up." (Daniel 3:18)

Why is their second response a clearer/maturer expression of following God? I think it's because the second response shows that the three friends truly understand the nature of God. God is sovereign, and it is sometimes His will not to remove his children from suffering, even the kind of unimaginable suffering those three faced. After all, some saints have been "sawn in two." (Hebrews 11:37) God may have other purposes in mind. Our job as Christians is to follow the example of these three saints: God, I know you're powerful enough to deliver me from this suffering, but I also know that you may want to use my suffering to glorify your name in other ways. Lord, whatever happens, I trust you, and I will not compromise my faith in you. May your perfect will be done, and may you get all the glory.

1 comment: